If your herb garden is anything like mine, it’s exploding with basil. This cocktail has been our go-to drink all season long. It’s never too late to enjoy the refreshingly simple and sweet-tart flavors of bright basil, lime, and tingly tonic - especially in the south, where summer weather will likely linger until October.
Makes four, 8oz drinks.*
INGREDIENTSFor the simple syrup:
- ½ cup sugar (or for calorie-free, use Stevia in the Raw)
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 4.5 oz (3 shots) high-quality gin or vodka
- 1.5 oz lime juice (fresh squeezed or good-quality bottled)
- 2 to 3 oz simple syrup, chilled
- Tonic water (a typical 1L bottle is plenty)
- Lime, cut into wedges for garnish
- Additional basil leaves, for garnish
- Make the simple syrup. A simple syrup is just a 1:1 mixture of sugar and water. If using regular sugar, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring with a mini whisk until sugar dissolves (takes just a few minutes). Remove from heat, pour into small container (such as our Small Silo Pitcher) and chill. (To save on calories, use Stevia in the Raw instead. Unlike sugar that needs heat to dissolve, the Stevia in the Raw dissolves in cold water with just a quick whisk!)
- In the bottom of the Mason Shaker, add basil leaves, simple syrup, and lime juice. Gently muddle together, crushing the basil to release essential oils.
- Add a handful of ice cubes. Secure the lid and shake vigorously for ten seconds.
- Fill glasses abour 3/4 full with ice**. (My husband is a cube man; I'm a crushed ice girl.)
- Strain mixture into two 8 oz glasses. (Pour each about 2/3 full, leaving room for the tonic water!) Top off with tonic water and stir gently.
- Garnish with basil leaves and a lime wedge.
- Serve with our pretty linen napkins, in this beautiful flower pattern, or coasters.
* Our Farmhouse Pottery glasses may look delicate, but these beauties are seriously substantial. This recipe will make two good size drinks - enough to fill two of our large (16 oz) glasses, or four small (8 oz) glasses.
**A good-quality drink needs good quality ice cubes. Our silicone ice molds create perfect cubes and crushed ice without taking on the flavors of foods in your freezer.